Wednesday, August 3, 2011

professional potter?

Last night, I thought occurred to me that I may have met one of my life goals, on a technicality. For about the last 20 years, I have always said I wanted to be a professional potter when I grow up. Thinking back to the definition of professional in terms of athletics, you were considered a professional when someone paid you to do it. Well I have sold pots for over 3 years now, someone is paying me for my work. I guess by definition I am a professional and have met my goal.

The technicality comes in, when I said that goal, i always meant that would be my profession, and I supported my family on that profession. I never stated the goal was to be a self sufficient potter, just a professional potter.

I don't feel like a professional. What does a professional potter feel like? I know I have people come to me for help with their pottery. Our website is doing well, even thought the search engines ignore it, (i'm working on it). I have been taking more and more custom orders for stoneware, a technique I'm don't do regularly.

I know when I was a manager of restaurants, I considered myself a professional and many of the same things applied. Was it that I reported to someone and they told me I was a professional? Or did I just act the role of the professional because of the title?

In my current night/day job the infamous W2, I am regarded as a professional. Once again not sure it is because someone told me I was or the prestige of a title. I do enjoy my W2 job, it is very satisfying knowing you did make a difference or an impact nearly everyday. On the other side, I have found out things and learned things about people I can never forget and somethings are better to be naive about.

I know I now need to amend the goal. It just feels weird to put professional pottery behind my name. I realize by definition I have obtained that right, but not certain if it appropriate yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment