Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What a weekend!

Its been a great weekend, the weather held in the 30's in the morning and hit 60-70's in the afternoon. We got out and prepared the pit for firing, cleaned it out and repaired any damage from the cows. We fired a load in the pit, and a load of saggars, and last week spent the week doing blackware pieces. In my opinion we got some great pieces, I especially favor the saggars, they have the same hash marks, but are deeper gray/brown and the oranges are more diffuse giving the pots a warm glow. I might have to keep one for myself, We will see if Kiesha can find room for it.
As for the Pit Firing, another potter suggested I try some bacon grease. He advised he gave interesting results....well I can say this, it did make some interesting patterns on the side of the pots. I placed approx. 2 soup cans of grease in the pit in two different locations the colors of the pots were what I would call swamp green/brown. The pieces gave the appearance of a quilt, with areas of different shades of the swamp green/brown, but the unique part is they had a defined border.
The rest of the pit was normal, lots of great red, pink, burgundy, gray, black, green, and some blue. The new clay held up great, did have some breakage, but I contribute most of those to being inpatient and me lifting the pieces out from the fire. OOPS
This week, wax, photo, and inventory.

No comments:

Post a Comment